This specialized service of VGM hospital deals with diseases of liver, biliary tract and pancreas. Dr. Anand Bharathan, a surgeon with impeccable training and several years of work experience in the specialty heads this service. Focussed practice of HPB surgery as a separate department is done only in a few centers in the country and VGM hospital is happy to offer one such service. Advantages of such a dedicated service include presence of team members who are highly updated in their knowledge and requisite skill levels of the specialty. The aim of the service is to provide affordable, very high quality care for patients with diseases of liver, biliary tract and pancreas.
We are happy to announce the launch of “Advanced Hepato Biliary Pancreatic Surgery” service in our hospital. Dr. Anand Bharathan, Consultant HPB and Liver Transplant Surgeon” would be heading this division of our surgical services.
Dr. Anand has vast experience in this specialty and has been part of more than 650 liver transplantations, 200 liver resections for liver, biliary tract and gallbladder cancers, 150 Whipple’s Pancraeticoduodenectomies with portal vein resection in many of them and in performance of various types of shunt operations for portal hypertension. He has vast experience in immediate/early repair of post cholecystectomy bile duct injuries and biliary strictures.
Under the auspices of this service, VGM Hospital will perform
1) Major liver resection for hilar cholangiocarcinoma (Bile duct cancer), a challenging operation that very few centres in the country perform.
2) Major liver resections for Hepatocellular carcinoma (Liver cancer).
3) Liver resection for gallbladder cancer.
4) Liver resection for various other liver tumors.
5) Shunt operations for Portal Hypertension (Portal cavernoma, portal biliopathy, Non cirrhotic portal fibrosis) 6) Immediate/early repair of post cholecystectomy bile duct injury.
7) Operations for pancreatic cancer, including those that involve portal vein.
8) Operations for chronic pancreatitis.
9) Management of acute pancreatitis.